Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

L is for Learning

If you happen to have a preschooler and you happen to do Letter of the Week with him/her, then you probably have noticed that we are on letter L and you are probably on X or Y or Z, or perhaps you have started on the Hebrew alphabet. Yes, we are behind. We do more like letter of the month-ish, but we have SO much fun doing it!

Today we learned about lilies (very fun for Lily, but Evie wanted to know when we would learn about Evie flowers)and made these lilies out of our handprints.

Since we were on the topic of flowers, we planted some seeds so we could watch them grow. When we came home from church tonight Evie seemed a little disappointed that they hadn't grown any yet. We are going to keep a picture diary of their progress so she can see the growth over time. Here is what they look like today. :) Evie took this picture herself!

We also embarked on a scavenger hunt for pictures of words that begin with L. I had 7 pictures that I showed them first and then I sent them away with their baskets so I could "hide" the pictures. This turned out to be a hit. The teacher in me isn't so sure what objective, standard or benchmark this really satisfied, but they LOVED it. We played this over and over again. The best part was when they "hid" them for me. Evie gave me the BIG basket and then walked me right up to each L picture so I could "find" it.



We also did a worksheet where Evie was supposed to practice identifying and tracing the letter L. She skipped the identifying (circling) completely and turned every L into an E. I didn't take a picture of that - not exactly something that will boost her portfolio. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment